Friday, October 13, 2017

Harvey Weinstein: Rose McGowan rips Twitter. Tom Hanks blames Hollywood entitlement.

The latest developments in the Harvey Weinstein scandal, as they happen:
How McGowan ran afoul of Twitter: Twitter is finally explaining why it temporarily restricted the account of actress Rose McGowan, who has been vocal about the Weinstein scandal, claiming his companies had known about the allegations against the movie producer.
"THERE ARE POWERFUL FORCES AT WORK. BE MY VOICE," McGowan captioned an Instagram post featuring a screenshot of a Twitter notice indicating her account violated Twitter rules and has been temporarily limited.
Late Thursday morning, Twitter said they had unlocked her account. "We want to explain that her account was temporarily locked because one of her Tweets included a private phone number, which violates our Terms of Service," the Twitter Safety team said in a post. "The Tweet was removed and her account has been unlocked. We will be clearer about these policies and decisions in the future."
Twitter's response came after a storm of protest, including celebrities including actress Jessica Chastain, who wanted to know while rule McGowan broke and director Paul Feig, who asked why they were applying the rules to her and not Trump, "who threatened to wipe out another country."
McGowan echoed Feig's complaint when she finally resumed tweeting Thursday afternoon, asking, "When will nuclear war violate your terms of service?" 
Jane Fonda 'ashamed' she didn't share what she knew: In an interview published Thursday by CNN, Jane Fonda told Christiane Amanpour that she "found out about Harvey about a year ago," adding, "I'm ashamed that I didn't say anything right then," Fonda said.
Her comments come just a few weeks after she and her 9 to 5 co-stars Dolly Parton and Lily Tomlin they fired a shot at President Trump from the Emmy stage, saying they "still refuse to be controlled by a 'sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot." 
Tom Hanks blames Hollywood entitlement. In an interview with the New York Times, Tom Hanks said that while he had never worked with Weinstein, the question of why Hollywood sheltered the mega-producer for so long is "a really good" one.
“Look, I don’t want to rag on Harvey but so obviously something went down there," Hanks said. "You can’t buy, ‘Oh, well, I grew up in the ’60s and ’70s and so therefore. ...” I did, too. ... I know all kinds of people that just love hitting on, or making the lives of underlings some degree of miserable, because they can.”
Hanks chalked it up to their achievements entitling them: “Somebody great said this, either Winston Churchill, Immanuel Kant or Oprah: ‘When you become rich and powerful, you become more of what you already are.' " He also expressed amazement that it took this long for all the allegations to come out. "I’m reading it and I’m thinking ‘You can’t do that to Ashley Judd! Hey, I like her. Don’t do that. That ain’t fair. Not her, come on. Come on!”
Penelope Cruz, Ryan Gosling speak up: Penelope Cruz, who thanked Weinstein in her acceptance speech when she won a supporting-actress Oscar in 2009 for Vicky Cristina Barcelona, said in a statement issued by representative Amanda Silverman, "I didn't know that side of him."
She added, "We have worked together on different films and even if he has been respectful to me and I personally have never witnessed such behavior, I need to express my support to the women that have had such horrible experiences." 
Meanwhile, Ryan Gosling tweeted Thursday, "Like many people in Hollywood, I have worked with (Weinstein) and I'm deeply disappointed in myself for being so oblivious to these devastating experiences of sexual harassment and abuse. He is emblematic of a systematic problem." 
Kate Beckinsale comes forward: In an Instagram post published Thursday, Kate Beckinsale accuses Weinstein of offering her alcohol during their first meeting at his hotel room when she was just 17. While that encounter didn't progress to sexual harassment, she writes that she was struck by a later encounter in which he revealed he couldn't remember what happened.
The Underworld actress said she'd assumed their morning meeting would take place in a hotel conference room, which she says was “very common.” However, when she arrived at London's Savoy Hotel, the front desk directed her to Weinstein's room, where he answered the door, she says, clad in a bathrobe. 
“I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older," unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him,” she wrote in the post. ”After declining alcohol and announcing that I had school in the morning I left, uneasy but unscathed.”
She continued, “A few years later he asked me if he had tried anything with me in that first meeting. I realized he couldn't remember if he had assaulted me or not. I had what I thought were boundaries — I said no to him professionally many times over the years —some of which ended up with him screaming at me calling me a (expletive) and making threats, some of which made him laughingly tell people, 'Oh ‘Kate lives to say no to me.’"
Beckinsale believes denying Weinstein “undoubtedly harmed my career,” and seeks to “create a new paradigm where producers, managers, executives and assistants and everyone who has in the past shrugged and said ‘ well, that's just Harvey/Mr X/insert name here ‘ will realize that we in numbers can affect real change.”





Scotland Yard, NYPD reviewing at Weinstein reports: On Thursday, Britain's Guardian reported Scotland Yard's child abuse and sexual offense unit is investigating a report referred to them by London's Metropolitan Police have referred a case involving Weinstein.  
Meanwhile, New York Police Department spokesman Peter Donald told the Associated Press that detectives are reviewing police files for cases involving Weinstein. He added that so far, no complaints have been found aside from that of model Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, which led to a 2015 investigation.
Gwyneth Paltrow told Letterman, 'Harvey will coerce you': In a Nov. 25, 1998, clip from CBS' Late Show, Gwyneth Paltrow told then-host David Letterman that she felt pressure from Harvey Weinstein to make the appearance so close to Thanksgiving. 
“Are you here of your own free will?” Letterman asked, chuckling in the clip dug up by People and posted Wednesday. “Has someone coerced you into being here? “Do you count Harvey Weinstein as a coercer?”
Paltrow was quick to respond, noting, “Yes, I do all my movies for Harvey Weinstein — that’s Miramax for all of you. And, I’m lucky to do them there, but he will coerce you to do a thing or two.”
On Tuesday, Paltrow joined the band of women accusing Weinstein of sexual harassment. She told The New York Times before filming for Emma began in the mid- 1990s, she was summoned to Weinstein’s hotel suite for a work meeting that ended with Weinstein placing his hands on her and suggesting they head to the bedroom for massages. “I was a kid, I was signed up, I was petrified,” she recalled in the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment